Department of Infection Prevention and Control
The Department of Infection Prevention and Control (IP&C) in KAMC-Riyadh is a corporate department that oversees and collaborates with the IP&C departments of the Western and Eastern Regions. IP&C Departments are comprised of three main sections. Each section has its own activities and provides specific services to the hospital, affiliated clinics and/or communities in the central region, eastern and western Saudi Arabian National Guard (SANG) regions. The main three sections of IP&C Departments are:
- Public Health Section
- Hospital Infection Control Section
- Environmental Health and Occupational Health and Safety Section
Mission and Goals:
The IP&C Department functions within the scope of mission and commitment to the values and standards of the SANG. Our mission is to provide safe and healthy environment for patients, staff, visitors, and residents of SANG. The following are the mission and goals of the Departments’ sections:
Hospital Infection Control Section:
Supports the National Guard mission of promoting patient safety by reducing the risk of acquiring and transmitting infections; and to become a leader in healthcare epidemiology and infection control.
Contribute to the delivery of the highest quality health care, by promoting safety and reducing the risk of acquiring and transmitting infections among patients, visitors, healthcare workers, and support staff at SANG facilities. This is done through running healthcare associated infections (HAI) surveillance program, followed by the dissemination of guiding information and actions to policy-makers and planners. The specific objectives are as follow:
- To investigate and control hospital clusters or outbreaks of HAI & resistant organisms among patients and personnel.
- To measure the incidence of infections and pathogenic organisms.
- To maintain a comprehensive data system to monitor, evaluate, and implement the necessary actions to ensure a safe and healthy environment for patients, personnel, and visitors.
- To monitor antimicrobial susceptibilities.
- To evaluate new products to be used to control infection throughout the hospital.
- To ensure compliance with national and international regulations.
- To ensure compliance with accrediting agency requirements.
- To provide data and statistical analysis for research and publications.
Improve care of SANG employees and their eligible dependents through prevention and control of infection and occupational injuries.
Community and Public Health Section:
Focuses on how to determine specific infectious diseases in National Guard communities, promote health awareness, and prevent spread of infection.
- Measuring indicators of health status and magnitude of disease problems in SANG population through:
- Conducting communicable disease outbreaks investigation.
- Organizing, running, and evaluating reportable disease surveillance system.
- Identifying risk factors and populations at risk for communicable diseases.
- Identification of and response to emerging threats of public health interests.
- Increasing the patient and family’s awareness regarding communicable illnesses and other related medical concerns.
- Improving the system of follow-up for TB, hepatitis, brucella patients and other communicable diseases.
- Communicating the analyzed and interpreted health information in a timely manner with policy-makers and planners.
Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety Section:
Our goal is to promote the health and productivity of employees of the NGHA KAMC by preventing and managing occupational and environmental injuries, illnesses and disabilities.
- Monitoring and improving the quality of water, food, and air in SANG facilities:
- Improving housing environmental conditions.
- Controlling work hazards including thermal, ergonomics, lighting problems, etc. through establishing a job hazard assessment system in cooperation with relevant departments.
- Minimizing occupational health & safety risks in order to comply with regulations and standards.
At the international and regional level, the Department of Infection Prevention & Control also serves as the headquarters for the following network of organizations: [more details…provide link]
- Executive Director: Dr. Hanan Balkhy
- Dr. Mohammed Al Qahtani, Assistant Executive Director and Director for Community Public Health – Riyadh
- Dr. Abdulhakeem Al Thaqafi, Associate Executive Director, Infection Prevention & Control – Western Region
- Dr. Ayman El Gammal, Regional Director, Infection Prevention & Control – Eastern Region
- Dr. Wafa Al Nasser, Head, Infection Prevention & Control – Al Dammam
- Dr. Mahmoud Waddah Sallah, Epidemiologist and Director for Hospital Infection Control - Riyadh
- Dr. Mohamed El Helaly, Director for Environmental Health and Occupational Health and Safety - Riyadh
Proposed Additional Linkages:
Phone number: +966-11-8011111 ext: 43893 / 43720
Fax number: +966-11-8011111 ext. 43733 / +966 1 252 0437
Departmental Email: email@example.com
Mail Code: 2134